Sunday, June 29, 2008

Before Self-Service

You have to click on this photograph to realize the beauty of what grocery stores used to be!  Isn't it beautiful?  I would go into convulsions if I ever found a store like this!  

Neuman's actually wasn't self-serve.  I believe the first was a Piggly Wiggly (never could understand that stupid name).  This was the original store of Neuman's and was located on Broadway in Detroit.  His other store was located behind J.L. Hudson on Farmer Street.  Real food.  No Hamburger Helper.  No Velveeta.  Humans cooking from fresh fruit and vegetables and perhaps a can of peaches or Roma tomatoes every once in awhile.  

I remember deciding to eliminate all unnatural sugars from my diet; white flour, semolina, white sugar (brown sugar, too!) - anything that converted into sugar or starch (which is shear hell if you love potatoes, like I do) - I had three days of withdrawals from no bread or sugar.  And migraines.  Now, eating fresh fruit and vegetables for a few months, my last bite of sugar (a Graham cracker) gave me head spins.  There's something wrong with that.

This is how grocery stores should be.  Otherwise, head to Eastern Market...or Cantoro's (for your Italian meats).

No comments: