Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Csipke Folkdance and Folkmusic Camp

Having a  conversation with the Mayor of Hamtramck, I was reminded of the Csipke Dancers.  I think this is an important part of Detroit as Delray was home to hundreds of Hungarians who left Delray for Lincoln Park and Allen Park.  My husband's family lived in Delray in the early 1900's and I recall my grandfather taking me for lunch at Al's Lounge a few times.  Everyone remembers Joey's Stables and The Fancy Pastry Shop (now located in Allen Park) and I still have conversations with those who lived there that recall the Grape Festival and all the trees that used to line the streets.  

This camp teaches those who are interested in Hungarian culture, traditional dance.  If interested, the Csipke dancers have their own website at Csipke.org.

No comments: